A bit of history
The notoriety of Sancerre wines, now worldwide, goes back to ancient times. The Roman, Pliny the Elder, and later Gregory of Tours around the year 580, noted Sancerre for the quality of its wine among the vineyards of the "Royal River", the Loire. John, Duke of Berry (fourteenth century), considered it to be the best wine of the Kingdom...
In the twelfth century, the Augustinian monks located nearby in the abbey of Saint-Satur at the foot of Sancerre, made the vineyard prosper. They planted pinot noir, which became the most important Sancerre grape variety until the nineteenth century, when the vineyard was destroyed by phylloxera.
Sauvignon became the main grape variety in the twentieth century. It has a different expression on our terroirs to anywhere else and thus enabled Sancerre to receive the Appellation d'Origine Contrôlée classification in 1936. The reds and rosés received the classification in 1959.
The white Sancerre wines, made exclusively from Sauvignon Blanc grapes, now account for 80% of production. Pinot noir grapes are reserved for the production of red and rosé Sancerre wines. By taking advantage of the advances in transportation methods, Sancerre wines quickly became very popular in Parisian bars and bistros. They were then exported worldwide. Today, 70% of our produce is exported across the world.